Re: Small radio station for next gather

wdp@gagme.chi.il.us
17 Jul 1992 00:11:49

In article <1992Jul11.051537.26553@usenet.ins.cwru.edu> bc151@cleveland.Freenet.Edu (Ken Fisler) writes:

>Thinking about the next gathering:
>
>Though I'm an expert on almost nothing, I do remember reading
>something a long time ago which said that radio transmitters
>under a certain power level are allowed to broadcast without any
>kind of a licence. (Five watts sounds familiar.)
>
>So would there be someone out there who might be able to cook up
>a small radio station so that people at or on the way to the
>gathering could get news?

Good Idea ...But ...

Some problems, Ken. First of all, Low power broadcast band (AM or FM)
transmitters to be 'legally' operated w/o licenses are _very_
restricted. Like maybe one tenth of a watt on AM with a 3 foot antenna.
A setup like this might yield a range of 100 -200 feet MAX. On FM the
power and antenna restrictions are even tighter. At best, you might
realize a range of 200 -500 feet from the transmtter to a _sensitive_
receiver. No where NEAR 5 watts of power.

Second problem, If one was to broadcast illegally, it would bring the
feds down on the gathering and that is something nobody wants.

Third problem, How will people know where to tune?

Fourth problem: Who would man this station, and what would you transmit?

Fifth problem (and here is a biggie) portable radios and 'boom-boxes'
are strongly discouraged at gatherings. They are disruptive and
compete with the 'home-grown' music of guitars, drums and such that
abound in gatheriings. It has been decided by many a rainbow counsil
that recorded (or transmitted) music/sound, weapons, alcohol,
'dangerous' drugs, money exchanging, and violence are unwelcome at gatherings.

What might work, but would be less universal, would be a CB channel
set aside for gathering info. The parking lots and other
'coordinators' of the gathering often use walkie-talkies for
communication. I don't know what channel they use.

Great Idea, but I don't think the gathering is theplace to ply such
technology. Remember that the rainbow tribe has many in it who are
staunchly anti-technology anyway.

In order to gather, the gathering must be non-commercial, and in order
for it to be happy and peaceful, some agreements are followed by most people.

For many years, the Grateful Dead had low power (one watt) stereo fm
transmitters for people who were there and wanted to tape the concert.
These were licenced as itinerant stations and operated on whatever
clear frequency was available. The practice has been discontinued,
but was great for those in the parking lot who could not afford the
ticket. Maybe that is WHY they stopped it :-).

Peace to you and keep on thinking free.

Bill Pfeiffer
Moderator - rec.radio.broadcasting & The E-Mail Broadcast Digest
rrb@airwaves.chi.il.us

> Internet: bc151@cleveland.freenet.edu
> Bitnet: bc151%cleveland.freenet.edu@cunyvm
>| Attilla the Hun must have watched a LOT of Murphy Brown. |

Back to the Top Level: