ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ 1.4

Marcus L. Endicott (mendicott@igc.apc.org)
Fri, 16 Apr 1993 12:12:35 -0700 (PDT)

_____ _____ __ __ __ _____ _____ __ __
| _ \ / _ \ | | | \| | | __ \ / \ | |/\| |
| / | _ | | | | | | __ < | | | | |
|__|__\ \_/ \_/ |__| |__|\__| |_____/ \_____/ \__/\__/
_____ _____ _____
| ___| / _ \ / \
| __| | _ | | | |
|__| \_/ \_/ \____ \
\/

. + . . . . . .
. . . *
. * . . . . . . + .
"You Are Here" . . + . . .
. | . . . . . .
| . . . +. + .
\|/ . . . .
. . V . * . . . . + .
+ . . . +
. . + .+. .
. . . + . . . . .
. . . . . . . . ! /
* . . . + . . - O -
. . . + . . * . . / |
. + . . . .. + .
. . . . * . * . +.. . *
. . . . . . . . + . . +

****************
*********** ****
******** **** ** ****
** *** **************
******** ** **********
************ *** ********
******************** ************
******************** *************
********************** ****************
*********************** ** ***** ****************
************ ************ ** *********************
********************************** *******************
************************************ ************
**************************************** **********
************************************ ******
************************************ ****
************************************** ****
****** ****************************** ******
************************************ ******
************************************ ********
** ****************************** ********
** **************************** **********
**************************** ************
************************** ************
************************ ***********
********************************
****************************
********************

WELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWE
LOVEYOUWELOVEYOUW ********* WELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUW
ELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWE ***** LOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOV
EYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEY *** OUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWE
LOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOV * EYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUI&ILOVEYOU

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ 1.4 Revised Version: 16 April 1993 **

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ CONTENTS **

RAINBOW FAQ NOTE **
RAINBOW FAMILY 1993 OFFICE **
USDAFS 1992 COLORADO RAINBOW REPORT **
EUROPA RAINBOW **
EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR EUROPEAN RAINBOWS **
RUSSIAN RAINBOW **
CYBER CIRCUIT ANCIENT HIPSTORY (circa Harmonic Convergence) **
ONLINE CONSENSUS **
AWF.RAINBOWNEWS (APC/IGC/EcoNet/PeaceNet) **
MAILING LIST: alt.gathering.rainbow **
FTP (FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL): ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW (& AWF.RAINBOWNEWS)
INTERNET RELAY CHAT (IRC) **
TELEPHONE HOTLINES **
AUDIO RECORDINGS **
VIDEO RECORDINGS **
RAINBOW BIBLIOGRAPHY (medium form) **
PERIODICAL CITATIONS **
ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW GLOSSARY **

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ NOTE **

This is a provisional ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ (Frequently Asked
Questions) for the USENET newsgroup >alt.gathering.rainbow<; I
>mendicott@igc.apc.org< volunteer to focalize it until the annual Focalizer
Council of the 1993 Turtle Island/North American Rainbow Family of Living
Light World Peace and Healing Gathering of the Tribes, July 1-7. For
purposes of this writing, Rainbow Family refers to those who self-identify
as such. I am open to any and all council on this. I know virtually
nothing about USENET FAQ conventions, and so will post revisions only to
>alt.gathering.rainbow< until further notice.

Every person who reads this ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ is urged to download
the electronic version, print out at least one hardcopy, and to pass it
around among your offline friends. [If for any reason you have difficulty
doing this, you may email >mendicott@igc.apc.org< for possible help.]

If you have access to almost any kind of working computer, all you need is
an appropriate modem in order to interface with the telephone system and
communications software to enable connection with other computers. Even
300 bps modems will work adequately and communications software is often
freely available, such as shareware. An echo of >alt.gathering.rainbow< is
available manually to any networked email address, including the commonly
available FidoNet, in emailing list form by sending a request to
>ezrine@telesphere.wustl.edu<. MCI Mail [(800) 444-6245] is generally
considered to be the cheapest commercial emailbox service (rather than an
online news reader); though, there is usually a FidoNet node in almost
every area, which is often free. Simply ask local computer or electronics
stores about BBSs (bulletin board systems) in your area.

>alt.gathering.rainbow< appears to be a UseNet newsgroup; but, in the true
spirit of Rainbow, >alt.gathering.rainbow< is apparently not official in
the alt.* hierarchy, and to our knowledge as of this writing is not carried
by UUnet. Email >postmaster@uunet.uu.net< for confirmation. We know that
>alt.gathering.rainbow< can be read in Europe, presumably via EUnet;
however, to date we have no reason to believe that it can be read in
Russia, the Commonwealth of Independent States, or other territories of the
former Soviet Union, presumably not via RelCom. If you can read this
elsewhere besides North America, Western Europe, or Australia, we would
like to hear from you, either by posting to >alt.gathering.rainbow< or via
email. [Also, can anyone read this @gn.apc.org ?]

>USENET is one of the most misunderstood things around. It is not a
>computer network. It does not require the Internet. It is not software.
>It is a set of voluntary rules for passing and maintaining news groups.
>Also, it is a set of volunteers who use and respect those rules....
>USENET is made up of seven well-managed news groups. The rules for how to
>use, create, and delete groups have been around since before the Internet.
<...
>[ALT.* groups] discuss "alternative ways of looking at things." There are
>a lot of truly bizarre news groups here.... In a few groups, the postings
>lack any coherence at all, and make you wonder what, er, stimulants were
>influencing the authors. However, there is also a lot of useful
>information. Some important groups... were created here rather than going
>through the bureaucracy required to create an "official" news group.
>(These groups sometimes migrate to official news groups as their topics
>gain acceptance.) On the whole, though, discussions tend to be out of the
>mainstream.
[Quoted from pages 129-131 of THE WHOLE INTERNET USER'S GUIDE AND CATALOG
(1992), written by Ed Krol, and published by O'Reilly & Associates, 103
Morris St., Suite A, Sebastopol, CA 95472 USA.]

Anyone who feels the need to summarize/condense any of the quoted/reposted
material below, please do so, email to >mendicott@igc.apc.org<, and
indicate if you wish to be credited, otherwise such submissions will become
anonymous. In the interest of readability, quoted/reposted material was
spell-checked along with the rest of this document, and/or reformatted.

** RAINBOW FAMILY 1993 OFFICE **

>Rainbow Family of Living Light <0005858446@mcimail.com>

>The National Office is now on E-mail: 5858446@mcimail.com, We plan to post
>updates to alt.gathering.rainbow available via INTERNET, UUCP, USENET,
>WWIVNET, FIDONET, PEACENET, receivable in many areas via freenets,
>universities, and local public access machines. For more info contact
>chicken@darkstar.cygnus.com

= = =

>Topic 81 Rainbow 1993 Office Opens
>mrose alt.gathering.rainbow 3:17 pm Dec 10, 1992
>
>RAINBOW FAMILY 1993 OFFICE IS OPEN!
>The address is:
>Rainbow Family of Living Light 1993
>P.O.Box 187
>Tateville, KY 42558
>Phone in Burnside, KY: 606-561-6185 (9 am to 11 pm, 7 days a week).
>
>Reminder: Expenses are high this year - P.O. Box costs approximately $28,
>telephone hook-up $63 ( we did our own wiring to keep costs down), monthly
>basic telephone charge $40+ a month (includes blocks on incoming collect
>and outgoing long distance calls).
> Plus scouts have a huge, multi-state area to look at so they need help
>with gas money, and vehicle maintenance and funds for food for several
>months. The scouts and the office need extra bedding too. Thanksgiving
>council magic Hat collected $72 to open the bank. Costs to-date have
>already exceeded the bank. These costs were paid out of private, nearly
>empty, pockets.
> Please help us get word out through all Focalizers to all Family.
>Please try to do some early benefits. When sending contributions in,
>please label as to office, scouts, seed camp, general fund...be specific
>so the office and bank folks know your wishes.
> Signed, Rainbow 1993 office
> For all our relations

= = =

>SPRING COUNCIL for National is Memorial Weekend, site to be decided.
>National site to be counseled about.

** USDAFS 1992 COLORADO RAINBOW REPORT **

>RAINBOW FAMILY LEGALIAISON
>P.O. Box 27217
>Washington, D.C. 20038

>March 30, 1993

>A couple of weeks ago the Forest Service sent us a copy of the
>Rainbow Gathering 1992 report on Colorado.

>...the cost of printing and mailing one copy of the sixty-
>two page report is about $5.00....

** EUROPA RAINBOW **

The 1993 Europa Rainbow will be in Eire around the first full moon in
August. General information about Europa Rainbow may be requested from
Rainbow Info-Coordination (RIC). Please include an International Reply
Coupon with your request.

Rainbow Info Coordination (RIC)
c/o Christof Zellweger
Postfach 4016
8022 Zuerich, SWITZERLAND
Tel: 077 93 38 45
(Note: This is a new and different R.I.C. address; the address
in Oetwil is now defunct.)

= = =

>July 25th -> Aug. 5, International & All European Rainbow
> Gathering in Ireland
>
> - Preparations are ongoing. Mike, Nico & Kailash (+ Stephanie
> ?) go for scouting. For early contacts write to:
>
> Jenny Boughton
> The Flat, Greys, Mallory, Banbury Road
> CV34 GSX Warwick BRITAIN
> Tel: 0926 49 73 11
>
> Scout Council meeting and gathering for Equinox March 21-22
> at the Ashram: Millmoraine Basketry, Ballingerary, County
> Cork, EIRE

** EMAIL ADDRESSES FOR EUROPEAN RAINBOWS **

>I was wondering if you have an email address for anyone in
>Ireland or elsewhere in europe that I could correspond with who
>might be directly connected with the Euro gathering?

RIC (Rainbow Info Coordination) and Peace Projects associated
folks in Switzerland and Italy do have access to email; but, it
is unclear whether or not they are actually using it, much less
monitoring this <alt.gathering.rainbow> Usenet newsgroup. Others
peripherally associated with Rainbow in Scotland also have access
to email, but is equally unclear whether or not they are actually
using it. This assessment is based on their continuing failure
to respond to private email, as well as to post publicly. At
least messages to them are not being bounced back. We do know
that our friends in Russia are with us. It must be said that the
Europa Rainbow Family in general and the Europa Rainbow Tribal
Council in particular are even more technophobic and indeed
paranoid than Rainbow people in North America, for the primary
reason that they have not enjoyed our own egalitarian traditions
of free speech, free press, freedom of assembly, or freedom of
religion. It must be remembered that traditional Rainbow culture
has been based on heart to heart, intuitive, telepathic
communication.

** RUSSIAN RAINBOW **

> +------------------------------------------------------+
> |RainbowPhil, Moscow Rainbow Family, phil@child.msk.su |
> |------------------------------------------------------|
> | " All God's children need travelling shoes..." |

= = =

> [...]
>St. Petersburg we will show you where you can buy food and how
>to do it! We will just collect money for expenses in the camp
>so you can make your own donation when you are there.
>
>Please plan your travel to Russia to arrive in St. Petersburg
>not later than 16th June. If you come a few days earlier or
>want to stay longer after the Rainbow Gathering we can arrange
>accommodation for you with our friends.
>
>Write to us in St. Petersburg to: Vasudeva Kirbiatev, Galya
>Melnikova, Rimskogo-Korsakova 101-5, St. Petersburg 190008
>RUSSIA; tel: 812-219-7144; FAX: 812-314-1789.
>
>For more information and help with visas and travel to St.
>Petersburg contact: Liza Schnadt, Findhorn Ecotravels, The Park
>Forres, Moray IV36OTZ SCOTLAND; tel/FAX: (0309) 690995.
>
>Because of the turtle speed of Russian mail deliveries, Liza
>will arrange your visa. Send Name & Address, Date & Place of
>Birth, Citizenship and Passport number and Travel Dates not
>later than 12th May 1993.
>
>You can travel with Liza's group from London - St. Petersburg on
>12th June 1993 (approx. UKP 250 return), or make your own plans
>to get there. Please let us or Liza know your date and time of
>arrival in St. Petersburg so that we can meet you!
>
>We are looking forward to meeting you in Russia to spend a
>joyful time together.
>
>With Love and Peace,
>Your Russian Brothers and Sisters

** CYBER CIRCUIT ANCIENT HIPSTORY (circa Harmonic Convergence) **

> "Silicon chips are crystals" (Bambam Udogu).
>
>Sisters & Brothers of the Rainbow Family of Living Light, Rainbow Warriors
> waging peace, ecolutionary intelligence agents: computer circle know your
> Self. Reality hackers one and all, dreamtime is now.
>
>The purpose of this COMPUTER CIRCLE CIRCULAR #1 is to establish a computer
> network for Rainbow love & Jah god. Anarchy and decentralization are
> important considerations. There should be a good bulletin board system
> (bbs) operating as a continental hub, and others for the bioregional and
> metropolitan communities. The job of hub could be rotated among the
> regionals on a voluntary, consensus basis at special council at each
> continental gathering, as per the newspaper ALL WAYS FREE; this MEANS
> that NONE of these bbss can carry "Rainbow" in their names. This is to
> avoid incessant wrangling with computer-phobes. In addition to hardware,
> software, and hosts (sysops - system operators), attention must be paid
> to security and legality. Basically, if you don't want someone, anyone,
> to know something, anything, don't post it on a bbs. Past bbss have
> included the Rainbow Network on Barry Clements' Top Of The Rockies and
> the Rainbow conference on Pami Singh's Collage Network.
>
>A conference entitled "Spectrum" has been established on the KKFI Radio
> Wave - Radio Remote Bulletin Board System (RBBS-PC) for discussing the
> pros, cons, and possibilities of bbss for the Rainbow Family. The

** ONLINE CONSENSUS **

> [...]
>....omitted.....
>
>....omitted.....
>
>With great respect and awe at the Council Process in its most pure
>form.......
>
>((((( under consideration for the FAQ )))))
>Regarding Online Council Process--
>In awf.rainbownews (the PeaceNet progenitor of alt.g*.r*), it was our
>informal consensus to use a process similar to the following---
>
>A question is opened for comment for a {two to four} week period, at the
>end of which the consensus is noted as having been accepted, if there have
>been no further blocks or comments, and re-iterated for the record.
>
>At this time, further commentary may be opened to suggest changes to the
>accepted consensus, but they cannot, after the initial period, >block< the
>consensus on the point in question.
>
>Of course, no consensus of this online community may be taken as
>representative of the decision of the North American (or any other)
>Rainbow Family Tribal Council, but is solely an agreement of like minded
>individuals interested in pursuing common goals.
>))))) ### (((((
>
>Does this seem like a good informal working process? How long should the
>open period be?
>
>Love is the Key!
>
>Play-for-Peace Peter

** AWF.RAINBOWNEWS (APC/IGC/EcoNet/PeaceNet) **

>Topic 1 This Conference has been Renamed
>notes awf.rainbownews 2:01 pm Dec 25, 1992
>
>From: <notes>
>Subject: This Conference has been Renamed
>
>As of 10-Dec-1992, this conference has been replaced by the conference:
>
> alt.gathering.rainbow
>
>Suggest you visit that conference.

** MAILING LIST: alt.gathering.rainbow **

>From: Postmaster <technical@igc.apc.org>
>Date: 30 Mar 93 13:15 PST
>Subject: Re: How do I get back on the mailing li
>To: Recipients of conference "alt.gathering.rainbow"
><alt.gathering.rainbow@conf.igc.apc.org>
>Sender: Conference to Mail Gateway <conf2mail@igc.apc.org>
>
>From: Postmaster <technical>
>
>Ray --
>
>I added you to the alt.gathering.rainbow mailing list.
>Mike Erzine (ezrine@telesphere.wustl.edu) is nominally in
>charge of managing this list.
>
>Steve Fram
>for IGC 'technical'

** FTP (FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL): ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW (& AWF.RAINBOWNEWS)

>FTP is named after the application protocol it uses: the "File Transfer
>Protocol (FTP)." As the name implies, the protocol's job is to move files
>from one computer to another. It doesn't matter where the two computers
>are located, how they are connected, or even whether or not they use the
>same operating system. Provided that both computers can "talk" the FTP
>protocol and have access to the Internet, you can use the FTP command to
>transfer files. Some of the nuances of its use do change with each
>operating system, but the basic command structure is the same from machine
[Quoted from page 59 of THE WHOLE INTERNET USER'S GUIDE AND CATALOG (1992),
written by Ed Krol, and published by O'Reilly & Associates, 103 Morris St.,
Suite A, Sebastopol, CA 95472 USA.]

= = =

ftp igc.org / pub / awf.rainbownews / README
archive.Z
regular.Z

= = =

ftp igc.org / pub / awf.rainbownews / README :
>This directory contains archives of the conference awf.rainbownews, before
>it was merged with the Usenet newsgroup alt.gathering.rainbow .
>
>The files are quite large, several megabytes each. If the filename ends
>with ".Z", then the file has been run thru the UNIX 'compress' program.
>Use 'uncompress filename' on your own system after you fetch the file.
>When FTPing any of the archives, be sure to specify 'binary' mode to your
>FTP program before beginning the transfer. This will guarantee you get
>all 8 bits of information in each byte.

= = =

ftp igc.org
Connected to igc.org.
220 cdp FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.
Name (igc.org:xxx): anonymous
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password: xxx@yyy.zzz
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> ?
Commands may be abbreviated. Commands are:

! cr ls prompt runique
$ delete macdef proxy send
account debug mdelete sendport status
append dir mdir put struct
ascii disconnect mget pwd sunique
bell form mkdir quit tenex
binary get mls quote trace
bye glob mode recv type
case hash mput remotehelp user
cd help nmap rename verbose
cdup image ntrans reset ?
close lcd open rmdir
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (192.132.30.2,59405) (0 bytes).
New-stuff
README
bin
dev
download
etc
network-resources
pub
upload
usr
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
81 bytes received in 0.98 seconds (0.081 Kbytes/s)
ftp> cd pub
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (192.132.30.2,59407) (0 bytes).
ASA
BIN21
ECIX
ECIXfiles
ECO
ELECTROPOLIS
EPA
GreenDisk
IGC-conf-list-complete
IGC-conf-list-medium
IGC-conf-list-short
LANDMARKS
UNCED
UnixUtilities
apc_brochure
apc_rates
awf.rainbownews
black.list
conflictnet_brochure
econet_brochure
glasnet_brochure
global.link
homeonet_brochure
peacenet_brochure
procomm.zip
sci.med.aids
videos.Z
wd8003e.com
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
376 bytes received in 0.78 seconds (0.47 Kbytes/s)
ftp> cd awf.rainbownews
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (192.132.30.2,59410) (0 bytes).
README
archive.Z
regular.Z
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
30 bytes received in 0.09 seconds (0.33 Kbytes/s)
ftp> get README
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for README (192.132.30.2,59417) (544 bytes).
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
555 bytes received in 0.29 seconds (1.9 Kbytes/s)
ftp> get regular.Z
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for regular.Z (192.132.30.2,59426) (297695
bytes).
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
299165 bytes received in 72 seconds (4 Kbytes/s)
ftp> bye
221 Goodbye.

** INTERNET RELAY CHAT (IRC) **

>From: ezrine@telesphere.wustl.edu
>Date: 07 Feb 93 00:33 PST
>Subject: irc
>Sender: Conference to Mail Gateway <conf2mail@igc.apc.org>
>To: Recipients of conference "alt.gathering.rainbow"
><alt.gathering.rainbow@conf.igc.apc.org>
>
>From: ezrine@telesphere.wustl.edu (Mike Ezrine)
>Subject: irc
>
>I was thinking about trying to do a rainbow irc conference. I will be on
>irc 10pm local time 11pm east coast time, 8pm West coast time sunday night
>and monday night on channel #rainbow if you are on the inet it self please
>come and join me. I you need info on irc drop me a note. But you have to
>be on the internet directly to get to it.
>hope to cu all their
>
>Me

= = =

You can telnet to: bradenville.andrew.cmu.edu

Type: irc at the login prompt

Choosing a nickname: it can be your first name, or something more exotic.

Choosing a channel: do a /list to list all the channels.

To join these channels: /join <channel-name>
[no <>'s on channel name]

To send private messages to a single user, use /msg <nickname> <and your
message>

To enter a comment into the flood of conversations on the channel, type it
without a slash as the first character, and hit enter.

Once on a channel do a /who * to list everyone on, and where they're from.
Do a /whois <nickname> for more info on a particular denizen.

If you /help is always help, unless the help server is down: a frequent
problem.

If the nickname you choose is not already "owned" then send a:
/,msg NickServ@service.de help
for more information on registering that nick to your name.

** TELEPHONE HOTLINES **

Ho! Lightline: 1-404-662-6112

= = =

>There is a brother here in DC who has been offering his phone as
>a Rainbow Hotline for sometime, and he wants me to encourage
>everybody to use it. The outgoing message is sometimes five minutes
>long, with info on Gatherings all over. He currently has info on
>the Florida Gathering, for example. The number is (202)797-3625.
>Please disseminate this number widely.
>
>Many of you may know Allan as Pyremal, or Trunk.
>
>PLEASE PHONE IN INFO ON YOUR LOCAL GATHERINGS, SO HE CAN PUT IT ON
>HIS OUTGOING MESSAGE, AND EVERYONE CAN GET IT (assuming you want
>national exposure, which some of you may not :-).
>
>He has no direct access to the Net, thus this post on his behalf.
>
>He is not attempting to do anything in Rainbow's name, etc., etc.

= = =

>Topic 54 PNW focalizers Response 1 of 2
>pfraterdeus
>alt.gathering.rainbow 2:59 pm Nov 1, 1992
>
>Howdy John!
>
>Took me a minute to figure out what PNW meant!
>I guess you could call the Western Rainbow Tribes Hotline
> (that's thanks to Mark McCracken!) in Eugene...
>That number is.....
>503 284 6600
>
>Happy Trails!
>Play for Peace and Be sure and Vote for Change on Tuesday!
>
>Petros

** AUDIO RECORDINGS **

Various audio recordings of the Rainbow Gatherings have appeared at one
time or another of both professional and amateur quality. One of the most
beautiful I have heard was taken from the Europa Rainbow by the Cavaglieri
del Sole. [Please email ME >mendicott@igc.apc.org< with information about
others.]

Cavaglieri del Sole
Via Borghetto 16, I-29081 Macesina (Brescia), ITALIA

** VIDEO RECORDINGS **

No computer accessible digitized graphical images pertaining to the Rainbow
Gatherings are known to me as of this writing. Contacts for three
different video archives, Luke usually on site at the Video Kitchen, Tony
Crow, and Tobias Michelson, have various video materials freely available
at cost, such as for cassettes and postage. Write for details, including a
self-addressed, stamped envelope or USPS International Reply Coupon.
Presumably, all major U.S. television networks have footage on file of
various Rainbow Gatherings. Also, various U.S. government agencies, in
particular the U.S. Department of Agriculture Forest Service, have
extensive surveillance footage, which they refer to as 'educational' or
'training' material. It has been suggested that an FOIA (Freedom Of
Information Act) request should get them. [If anyone knows the details of
this procedure for accessing these publicly-owned materials, please email
ME >mendicott@igc.apc.org< with that information.]

Tony Crow
Real-Eyes Video, 515 East Grant Road, Suite 113, Tucson, Arizona 85705 USA

Tobias Michelson
Hauptstrasse 42, D-6755 Hochspeyer, DEUTSCHLAND

** RAINBOW BIBLIOGRAPHY (medium form) **

The expanded ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW BIBLIO (long form) containing more
detailed information about/from each book has become too massive for
inclusion here and so is available either from IGC via ftp or will be
emailed upon request.

I do not consider that every alternative or New Age publication would be
appropriate here. I have included books about Rainbow Family, per se,
about the broader Rainbow vision, and about the mythology and science of
the rainbow. I would also like to include those by or about prominent
Rainbow Family elders. [Please email that information to
>mendicott@igc.apc.org<, if you have it.] Also, there are at least three
books in progress, by Jody Bateman (Family history), Gabe Kirchheimer
(coffee table photo book), and Chuck Will (interviews). A more extensive
bibliography including books of more general nature can be found in Alberto
Ruz Buenfil's RAINBOW NATION WITHOUT BORDERS.

Adams, Barry P. WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWER CHILDREN GONE? Missoula,
Montana: Michael Spradlin Crater, 1988.

Barry P. Adams
P.O. Box 8574
Missoula, Montana 59807 USA

All Ways Free Council. ALL WAYS FREE. Eugene, Oregon: All Ways Free
Council, semi-annual. (Newspaper)

ALL WAYS FREE
P.O. Box 24715
Eugene, Oregon 97402 USA
[donation requested for printing and postage]

Boyer, Carl B. THE RAINBOW: FROM MYTH TO MATHEMATICS. Princeton, New
Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1987. (Paperback)

Princeton University Press
41 William Street
Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA

Buenfil, Alberto Ruz. RAINBOW NATION WITHOUT BORDERS: TOWARD AN ECOTOPIAN
MILLENNIUM. Sante Fe, New Mexico: Bear & Company, Inc., 1991. Translation
of: Arcobaleno (Spanish & Italian). (Paperback)

Bear & Company, Inc.
P.O. Drawer 2860
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2860 USA
Tel: (505) 983-5968
(800) 932-3277
Fax: (505) 989-8386

Huehuecoyotl Community
A.P. 111
Tepoztlan, Morelos, MEXICO

Cumbey, Constance E. THE HIDDEN DANGERS OF THE RAINBOW: THE NEW AGE
MOVEMENT AND OUR COMING AGE OF BARBARISM. Shreveport, Louisiana:
Huntington House, Inc., 1983. (Paperback)

Huntington House, Inc.
1200 North Market Street, Suite G
Shreveport, Louisiana 71107 USA
(318) 222-1350

Huntington House, Inc.
P.O.Box 78205
Shreveport, Louisiana 71137 USA
(800) 572-8213

Grimes, Mary "Thunder Woman," Ed. RAINBOW DREAM PROPHECY: A VISION OF
HOPE. Ogbourne St. George, Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK: Acorn Publishing,
1985. (Saddle stitched)

Acorn Publishing
March House, Ogbourne St. George, Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
Tel. 067 284 200

Summer:
Mary Grimes "Thunder Woman"
c/o Lula Mae Ball
6923 Crittenden
Indianapolis, IN 46220 USA
317-255-8356

Winter:
Mary Grimes "Thunder Woman"
c/o Chira Morgan
Chiron Hygiene Center
840 Brown Trail
Bedford, TX 76022 USA
817-268-0197

Horstman, Lee. RAINBOW ANTHOLOGY. Davenport, California: Lee Horstman,
annual. (Photocopied)

RAINBOW ANTHOLOGY
c/o Lee Horstman
P.O.Box 263
Davenport, California 95017-0263 USA
[donation of US$ 6.- requested for copying and postage]

Manitonquat (Medicine Story). RETURN TO CREATION: A SURVIVAL MANUAL FOR
NATIVE AND NATURAL PEOPLE. Spokane, WA: Bear Tribe Publishing, 1991.
(Paperback)

Bear Tribe Publishing
PO Box 9167
Spokane, Washington 99209 USA

Story Stone Publications
Mettanokit Outreach
Rte 123
Greenville, New Hampshire 03048 USA

McFadden, Steven S.H. ANCIENT VOICES, CURRENT AFFAIRS: THE LEGEND OF THE
RAINBOW WARRIORS. Santa Fe, New Mexico: Bear & Company, Inc., 1992.
(Paperback)

Bear & Company, Inc.
P.O. Drawer 2860
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2860 USA
Tel: (505) 983-5968
(800) 932-3277
Fax: (505) 989-8386

Chiron Communications
P.O.Box 481
New Ipswich, New Hampshire 03071 USA

McGaa, Ed "Eagle Man." RAINBOW TRIBE: ORDINARY PEOPLE JOURNEYING ON THE
RED ROAD. New York: HarperSanFrancisco/HarperCollinsPublishers, 1992.
(Paperback)

HarperSanFrancisco
A Division of HarperCollinsPublishers
10 East 53rd Street
New York, New York 10022 USA

Rainbow Guide Council. RAINBOW GUIDE. Madison, Wisconsin: Rainbow Guide
Council, annual. (Saddle stitched)

THE RAINBOW GUIDE
Box 3213
Madison, Wisconsin 53704 USA
[donation of US$ 5.- requested for printing and postage]

Willoya, William & Vinson Brown. WARRIORS OF THE RAINBOW: STRANGE AND
PROPHETIC DREAMS OF THE INDIANS. Happy Camp, California: Naturegraph
Publishers, 1962. 1992 Printing. (Cloth & Paperback editions)

Naturegraph Publishers, Inc.
P.O.Box 1075
Happy Camp, California 96039 USA

** PERIODICAL CITATIONS **

[Come on people, post them as you find them!]

?

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW GLOSSARY **

Let's accumulate more of the words and phrases that are either unique to
Rainbow or that have specific alternate meanings at gatherings. If you can
contribute better or more accurate definitions, please do; email to
>mendicott@igc.apc.org<.

a-campers
- people relegated to the renegade a-camp

alcohol kitchen, alcohol camp, a-camp
- place for those dependent on alcohol, usually unsanctioned by gathering
council, often located in a transitional area

ALL WAYS FREE (AWF)
- independent, usually semi-annual, newspaper specializing in Rainbow news

babylon
- dominant culture

bliss ninnies, blissers, blisses
- those often, but not necessarily, young and usually middle or upper
class people who prefer enjoyment to work

boogie circle, boogie meadow
- music and dance space often with bonfire

Brotherhood of Eternal Love
- one of innumerable precursor tribes

Brotherhood of the Seventh Ray
- violet is the seventh ray of the spectrum of clear light and represents
the heart chakra of eternal love and intuitive, telepathic guidance

brothers
- generally meaning fraternity, as in all men are brothers, also used for
those who are male family

Buddha
- a brother who started gatherings around the Bodhi tree at Buddh Gaya in
India

C.A.L.M.
- Center for Alternative Living Medicine (formerly known as M.A.S.H.),
first aid, field hospital, usually staffed with competent alternative
health care practitioners, often with EMTs, LPNs, RNs, or MDs on call

college kids
- usually clean-cut, preppily dressed university students new to
gatherings often visiting on weekends

cops & hippies (a.k.a. feds & heads)
- cat & mouse game played by immature, unenlightened people

council, council circle, main council
- sacred space for collective counciling, usually patterned after native
traditions, usually attempting consensus process

deadheads
- fans and followers of the Grateful Dead band, usually those new to
gatherings and often young and perceived to be irresponsible

Drainbo
- one who gives less than they take

fairies, fairy camp, fairy kitchen
- usually those of male homosexual persuasion, and their camp or kitchen

family
- people who have attended more than one gathering and consider themselves
to be

focalizer, focalizer council, focalizing, focalized, focalizer quarterly
mailing (FQM)
- a volunteer or council of at least three persons objectively or
subjectively specializing in being a contact point and/or networking

gate, main gate
- point where gathering encampment begins

herstory
- the better half of hipstory

high holy hippie elders, high holy hippies, high holies, assholies
- either objective or subjective hippie elders

hipstory, hipstorian
- family medicine story or oral history, raconteur

home
- Gaia, Mother Earth, nature, or gathering encampment

Info
- Information and Rumor Control collective or affinity group, camp or
kitchen for info-maniacs, message center, bulletin boards, ride sharing
board, workshop schedule, lost and found box, CB radio, clock

Jah, Jah-Way
- Wakan Tanka the Great Spirit, the One true God of Abraham, the spiritual
path

Jesus
- a brother who taught us the loaves-and-fishes method for sharing food at
gatherings

kid village, kiddie village
- focal point for cooperative child care

Legaliaison
- volunteer contacts for interface with local, state, and federal
authorities

locals
- people who live in the immediate vicinity of a gathering

parking
- centralized area for storing passenger vehicles while gathering, usually
supervised by family, local, state, and/or federal authorities

Rainbow Family
- a dis-organization of non-members

RAINBOW GUIDE
- annual directory of people not gatherings

Rainbow way
- the spiritual path

Rainbow trail
- circuit of gatherings and kindred events

Rainbozo
- not all that is colorful is a Rainbow

Rap 107/701
- flyer for educating about appropriate gathering behavior when
entering/leaving (the origin of this title seems to have become lost,
but probably refers to the number of times someone had to go over this
orally before it was finally written down)

road dogs
- dog soldiers often older street people, hoboes, mountain men, or
homeless

sisters, sister space
- generally meaning sorority, as in all women are sisters, also used for
those who are female family, camp, kitchen, or safe, supportive space
reserved for women only

stone age
- the time before use of the wheel was acceptable at gatherings

supply, main supply
- central area for donating supplies and coordinating acquisitions

tourists
- people who come to a gathering, usually at its peak, simply to gawk at
the spectacle

weekend warriors
- family employed and residing in babylon

Welcome Home, Welcome Center
- common greeting phrase at North American gatherings, also refers to camp
or kitchen usually located in vicinity of trail head for same purpose

** END OF ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ **

Back to the Top Level: