Re: Blather is Valuable. Fear not Bandw

williamt@athena.Eng.Sun.COM
19 Jan 1993 07:22:36

In article <1993Jan19.015029.19070@netcom.com> loca@netcom.com (John Hoag) writes:
>camerons@NAD.3Com.COM (Cameron Spitzer 408-929-7601) writes:
>
>>This generalization ignores the home sites. My newsfeed charges me $2/hour
>>plus $38/month. Normally my 80MB home news spool holds a couple of months
>>worth of the dozen newsgroups I read at home. Filling that spool with news
>>*once* costs more than the disk drive did!
----
Sounds like you should invest in a new modem. With a T2500 modem (
Telebits previous generation of modemo), speeds of 1300 chars/second
are normal for uucp file transfer. Their current setup is supposed to
be about twice that. But even if you were only doing 1000/characters/second,
that would still be 3.6 million chars/hour, or about $46 to fill your
80 meg hard disk. At the purported 38.4K, it would cost only about
$six dollars to fill your 80 meg hard disk. Compare that to a
2400 baud modem costing about $105 to fill. Etc.

>> Over the next year I intend to
>>serve a few downstream sites belonging to Greens around California. These
>>will be dial-up long-distance UUCP feeds. I'd like to feed them
>>alt.gathering.rainbow, since our values are so similar.

---
	Again, I would suggest faster modems.  They do wonders for
reducing long distance costs.

> >If your system can't handle the amount of blather you want to subscribe to, >you need more system. Very few people bring newsfeeds directly into their >mone computers -- and those who do are very well advised to invest in more >than 80 megs of disk space. With more and more Internet dial-up access >POPs, it's hard to imagine the need to have netnews delivered, en masse, >onto your hard disk at home. But suit yourself. Just don't scream at >everyone to quit using up *your* bandwidth if that's the way you want to >handle netnews.

---
	But connecting to a system to actually *read* the news often
costs more, both in $$/connect hour *and* time it takes to read.

>Wow, talk about generalizations. So everything that's not constructive in >your worldview is a waste of precious bandwidth, eh? Can you say "New Age >Cyberspace Fundamentalist?" Knew you could.

---
	Bandwidth is not infinite, but at the same time, there are things
Cameron could do to improve his situation as well.

Just my 3.5 cents... william

--
***  Dances with Drums  ***
***    DoD #0492   Steed: Kawasaki '80 750LTD                             ***

Back to the Top Level: