Re: SHAWNEE RAINBOW GATHERING O

Peter Fraterdeus (pfraterdeus@igc.apc.org)
Tue, 08 Sep 1992 12:13:50 -0700 (PDT)

Reply to: SHAWNEE RAINBOW GATHERING OCT. 1-10
You asked why pets are discouraged...

By long consensus, this has been part of the Howdy Folks language for a number
of reasons.

Primarily, at least from my point of view, it's because people don't watch
after them. We have enough problems with >humans< shitting in the woods, let
alone all their dogs. The sanitation questions are enough, but there's also the
tendency of dogs to run in packs, harrassing small children, 'hounding' the
kitchens, and worst of all barking at each other all night.

This behavior is obvious enough at any gathering, since there are always those
that assume that the request doesn't apply to their precious puppy...

As an animal lover, I also would note that most other creatuires (like cats,
ferrets, etc. ) totally freak out in the woods, if they've been brought up in
the city, or really, anywhere else.... they are easily lost... I've seen lost
dogs begging for food after the gathering, left behind by their >loving<
masters, because it would take too long to find them.....

There's a reason for every word in the Howdy Folks. It has evolved over twenty
years of Gatherings!

PLay for Peace!

Peter