Re: ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ 1.2 (lon

bressen@cs.columbia.edu
09 Feb 1993 05:40:50

In article <1655800115@igc.apc.org> Marcus L. Endicott <mendicott@igc.apc.org> writes:
>I believe, and please correct me if I'm wrong, >alt.gathering.rainbow< is a
>USENET newsgroup. USENET is a component of UUnet (Unix to Unix net) using
>UUCP (Unix to Unix Copy Program) and constitutes the largest component of the
>Internet. ...

Ok, here goes...

Usenet is the network of machines that send and receive Usenet newsgroups.
Some of these machines use the Internet to connect to the rest of Usenet,
others use UUCP protocol to connect to the rest of the Usenet.

UUnet is a non-profit corporation founded to enhance connectivity. They sell
access to the Usenet via UUCP. They also (as AlterNet) sell access to the
Internet, and to Usenet via the Internet. Usenet is something they sell
access to, not "a component" of their company.

Usenet uses more of the Internet's traffic capacity than any other use, but
it is not a component of the Internet, it is a use for it. Also, almost none
of the Usenet traffic that goes over the Internet uses UUCP for the crossing;
most of it uses a protocol called NNTP (network news transport protocol).

>such submissions will become anonymous. I would be especially interested in
>good, simple instructions from anyone has successfully performed a remote ftp
>from IGC.

cs$ ftp igc.org [I typed ftp igc.org]
Connected to igc.org.
220 cdp FTP server (SunOS 4.1) ready.
Name (igc.org:bressen): anonymous [I typed anonymous]
331 Guest login ok, send ident as password.
Password: bressen@cs.columbia.edu [I typed my return address]
230 Guest login ok, access restrictions apply.
ftp> cd pub [I told it to cd to the pub dir]
250 CWD command successful.
ftp> ls [I ask it to list the files there]
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for /bin/ls (128.59.26.44,2184) (0 bytes).
AFRICAN_MAILING_LISTS.TXT
ASA
BIN21
BLACK_BBS_LIST.TXT
ECIX
ECIXfiles
ECO
ELECTROPOLIS
EPA
GreenDisk
IGC-conf-list-complete
IGC-conf-list-medium
IGC-conf-list-short
LANDMARKS
UNCED
UnixUtilities
apc_brochure
awf.rainbownews
conflictnet_brochure
econet_brochure
glasnet_brochure
global.link
homeonet_brochure
peacenet_brochure
procomm.zip
sci.med.aids
videos.Z
wd8003e.com
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
400 bytes received in 0.093 seconds (4.2 Kbytes/s)
ftp> get apc_brochure [I ask it to get me a file]
200 PORT command successful.
150 ASCII data connection for apc_brochure (128.59.26.44,2189) (10454 bytes).
226 ASCII Transfer complete.
10789 bytes received in 2.2 seconds (4.8 Kbytes/s)
ftp> quit [I leave]
221 Goodbye.
cs$ [and I'm home again]

Back to the Top Level: