ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ 1.3

Marcus L. Endicott (mendicott@igc.apc.org)
Wed, 17 Mar 1993 12:01:25 -0800 (PST)

** ****************************** ********
** **************************** **********
**************************** ************
************************** ************
************************ ***********
********************************
****************************
********************

WELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWE
LOVEYOUWELOVEYOUW ********* WELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUW
ELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWE ***** LOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOV
EYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEY *** OUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWE
LOVEYOUWELOVEYOUWELOV * EYOUWELOVEYOUWELOVEYOUI&ILOVEYOU

_____ _____ __ __ __ _____ _____ __ __
| _ \ / _ \ | | | \| | | __ \ / \ | |/\| |
| / | _ | | | | | | __ < | | | | |
|__|__\ \_/ \_/ |__| |__|\__| |_____/ \_____/ \__/\__/
_____ _____ _____
| ___| / _ \ / \
| __| | _ | | | |
|__| \_/ \_/ \____ \
\/

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ 1.3 Revised Version: 17 March 1993 **

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ CONTENTS **

RAINBOW FAQ NOTE **
RAINBOW FAMILY 1993 OFFICE **
EUROPA RAINBOW **
RUSSIAN RAINBOW **
CYBER CIRCUIT ANCIENT HIPSTORY (circa Harmonic Convergence) **
AWF.RAINBOWNEWS (APC/IGC/EcoNet/PeaceNet) **
MAILING LIST: alt.gathering.rainbow **
FTP (FILE TRANSFER PROTOCOL): ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW (& AWF.RAINBOWNEWS) **
TELEPHONE HOTLINES **
AUDIO RECORDINGS **
VIDEO RECORDINGS **
ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW BIBLIO NOTE **
RAINBOW BIBLIOGRAPHY (medium form) **
PERIODICAL CITATIONS **
ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW GLOSSARY **

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ NOTE **

This is a provisional ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ (Frequently Asked Questions)
for the USENET newsgroup >alt.gathering.rainbow<; I >mendicott@igc.apc.org<
volunteer to focalize it until the annual Focalizer Council of the 1993 Turtle
Island/North American Rainbow Family of Living Light World Peace and Healing
Gathering of the Tribes, July 1-7. For purposes of this writing, Rainbow
Family refers to those who self-identify as such. I am open to any and all
council on this. I know virtually nothing about USENET FAQ conventions, and
so will post revisions only to >alt.gathering.rainbow< until further notice.

If you have access to almost any kind of working computer, all you need is an
appropriate modem in order to interface with the telephone system and
communications software to enable connection with other computers. Even 300
bps modems will work adequately and communications software is often freely
available, such as shareware. An echo of >alt.gathering.rainbow< is available
manually to any networked email address, including the commonly available
FidoNet, in emailing list form by sending a request to
>pfraterdeus@igc.apc.org<. MCIMail is generally considered to be the cheapest
commercial emailbox service (rather than an online news reader); though, there
is usually a FidoNet node in almost every area, which is often free. Simply
ask local computer or electronics stores about BBSs (bulletin board systems)
in your area.

>alt.gathering.rainbow< appears to be a UseNet newsgroup. UseNet is the
network of many thousands of interconnected machines which share, send and
receive, articles of UseNet News. Some of these machines use the InterNet,
mostly dedicated lines, to connect to the rest of UseNet, others use UUCP
protocol to connect to the rest of the UseNet. alt.* groups are known as
"Alternative News Group Hierarchies" and are not distributed as widely as the
7 core UseNet hierarchies. alt.* distribution may actually be decreasing, as
many sites consider the noise ratio too high. In the true spirit of Rainbow,
>alt.gathering.rainbow< is not even official in the alt.* hierarchy, and to
our knowledge as of this writing is not carried by UUnet.
UUnet (Unix to Unix network) is a non-profit corporation created by
Usenix (an international Unix user's group) to facilitate the flow of UseNet
News and to make newsfeeds widely available for a fee; it may be the
best-connected site on Earth. They sell access to the Usenet via UUCP. They
also (as AlterNet) sell access to the InterNet, and to Usenet via the
InterNet. UseNet started out as strictly UUCP (Unix to Unix Copy Program),
but most of it now moves over the InterNet via TCP/IP, and much of it is read
via NNTP (Network News Transfer Protocol). Peripheral machines often use
Unix-to-Unix CoPy (UUCP) to exchange compressed batches, usually over the
dial-up telephone network, but sometimes over packet radio. Peripheral
machines often subscribe to individual newsgroups instead of an entire
hierarchy. If your site can't afford all of alt.*, it still can probably
afford >alt.gathering.rainbow<. It doesn't hurt to ask. Email to
postmaster@uunet.uu.net for confirmation of this info, or for any other info.
We know that >alt.gathering.rainbow< can be read in Europe, presumably
via EUnet; however, to date we have no reason to believe that it can be read
in Russia, the Commonwealth of Independent States, or other territories of the
former Soviet Union, presumably not via RelCom. If you can read this
elsewhere besides North America, Western Europe, or Australia, we would like
to hear from you, either by posting to >alt.gathering.rainbow< or via email.
Also, can anyone read this @gn.apc.org ?

Anyone who feels the need to summarize/condense any of the quoted/reposted
material below, please do so, email to The Real ME <tm>
>mendicott@igc.apc.org<, and indicate if you wish to be credited, otherwise
such submissions will become anonymous. I would be especially interested in
good, simple instructions from anyone who has successfully performed a remote
ftp into IGC. In the interest of readability, quoted/reposted material was
spell-checked along with the rest of this document.

The expanded ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW BIBLIO (long form) containing more detailed
information about/from each book has become too massive for inclusion here and
so is available either from IGC via ftp or will be emailed upon request.

Let's accumulate some of the words and phrases that are either unique to
Rainbow or that have specific alternate meanings at gatherings. If you can
contribute better or more precise definitions, please do.

** RAINBOW FAMILY 1993 OFFICE **

>Topic 81 Rainbow 1993 Office Opens
>mrose alt.gathering.rainbow 3:17 pm Dec 10, 1992
>
>RAINBOW FAMILY 1993 OFFICE IS OPEN!
>The address is:
>Rainbow Family of Living Light 1993
>P.O.Box 187
>Tateville, KY 42558
>Phone in Burnside, KY: 606-561-6185 (9 am to 11 pm, 7 days a week).
>
>Reminder: Expenses are high this year - P.O. Box costs approximately $28,
>telephone hook-up $63 ( we did our own wiring to keep costs down), monthly
>basic telephone charge $40+ a month (includes blocks on incoming collect and
>outgoing long distance calls).
> Plus scouts have a huge, multi-state area to look at so they need help
>with gas money, and vehicle maintenance and funds for food for several
>months. The scouts and the office need extra bedding too. Thanksgiving
>council magic Hat collected $72 to open the bank. Costs to-date have already
>exceeded the bank. These costs were paid out of private, nearly empty,
>pockets.
> Please help us get word out through all Focalizers to all Family. Please
>try to do some early benefits. When sending contributions in, please label
>as to office, scouts, seed camp, general fund...be specific so the office and
>bank folks know your wishes.
> Signed, Rainbow 1993 office
> For all our relations

** EUROPA RAINBOW **

The 1993 Europa Rainbow will be in Eire around the first full moon in August.
General information about Europa Rainbow may be requested from Rainbow Info-
Coordination (RIC). Please include an International Reply Coupon with your
request.

Rainbow Info Coordination (RIC)
c/o Christof Zellweger
Postfach 4016
8022 Zuerich, SWITZERLAND
Tel: 077 93 38 45
(Note: This is a new and different R.I.C. address; the address
in Oetwil is now defunct.)

= = =

>July 25th -> Aug. 5, International & All European Rainbow
> Gathering in Ireland
>
> - Preparations are ongoing. Mike, Nico & Kailash (+ Stephanie
> ?) go for scouting. For early contacts write to:
>
> Jenny Boughton
> The Flat, Greys, Mallory, Banbury Road
> CV34 GSX Warwick BRITAIN
> Tel: 0926 49 73 11
>
> Scout Council meeting and gathering for Equinox March 21-22
> at the Ashram: Millmoraine Basketry, Ballingerary, County
> Cork, EIRE

** RUSSIAN RAINBOW **

> +------------------------------------------------------+
> |RainbowPhil, Moscow Rainbow Family, phil@child.msk.su |
> |------------------------------------------------------|
> | " All God's children need travelling shoes..." |

= = =

> [...]

>Ca and need to deal with a bunch of stuff.
>
>first off Peter F. and tech. support and me have worked out with igc to cross
>post alt.gathering.rainbow and awf.rainbownews (actually awf.rainbownews name
>will change to alt.g* but tech support will make you head to the right place)
>my guess this will start sometime today and I will ask Scott (tech support)
>to send a message out once this has happened. If you have any questions or
>problem drop me a note chicken@maria.wustl.edu I will not be able to responde
>until monday or tuesday but will try and help then.
>
>Second thing is we are in need of a site to archive the alt.gathering.rainbow
>stuff at current the archive is about 1.6 m 5m should be enough for the
>foreseeable future. We are looking for a site on the internet which would
>allow anonymous ftp. also a person to administer the archive is also needed.
>this is simple but will take a few hours to deal with the archive that we
>presently have since they are in two very large files and then to deal with
>the archive on an ongoing basis. some technical experience would help but if
>you know how to use vi that would be enough.
>
>the third thing is I am looking for a ride from the Bay area or anyplace west
>of the gathering to the gathering around the end of next week friday or
>saturday the 13,14 I think.
>
>oh also the archives of awf.rainbownews are available from anonymous ftp
>at igc.org in the pub/awf.rainbownews dir their are two files archive.Z which
>is the older stuff and regular which is after April of 1991.
>
>also if anyone if the Chicago area knows where I might crash tonight drop me
>mail soon.
>
>Well thanks for your time and if you have any questions or info drop me
>a note
>at chicken@maria.wustl.edu
>Love and e-mail
>Chicken (of the HI-HO tribe)

>From: Peter Fraterdeus <pfraterdeus@igc.apc.org>
>Date: 06 Jan 93 01:23 PST
>Subject: RE- Archives at igc.org...
>
>From: Peter Fraterdeus <pfraterdeus>
>Subject: RE- Archives at igc.org...
>
>Attn: alt.gathering.rainbow
>
> GOOD MORNINGI
> RE: Archives at igc.org...
>Tom from the Institute for Global Communications writes:
>
>*******************
>
>From: IGC User Support <support2>
>To: pfraterdeus
>Subject: Re: alt.gathering.rainbow ML
>
>Peter,
>The archive is in the directory pub/awf.rainbownews for someone
>who is accessing via FTP. Let me know if you need more help than
>that.
>
>Regards,
>Tom
>*************
>
>This archive includes all of the awf.rainbownews back to 1989....
>
>Again, if you're on PeaceNet (IGC) just type 'o' for old at the 'conf?'
>prompt while you're in 'alt.gathering.rainbow'.

** TELEPHONE HOTLINES **

Ho! Lightline: 1-404-662-6112

>There is a brother here in DC who has been offering his phone as
>a Rainbow Hotline for sometime, and he wants me to encourage
>everybody to use it. The outgoing message is sometimes five minutes
>long, with info on Gatherings all over. He currently has info on
>the Florida Gathering, for example. The number is (202)797-3625.
>Please disseminate this number widely.
>
>Many of you may know Allan as Pyremal, or Trunk.
>
>PLEASE PHONE IN INFO ON YOUR LOCAL GATHERINGS, SO HE CAN PUT IT ON
>HIS OUTGOING MESSAGE, AND EVERYONE CAN GET IT (assuming you want
>national exposure, which some of you may not :-).
>
>He has no direct access to the Net, thus this post on his behalf.
>
>He is not attempting to do anything in Rainbow's name, etc., etc.

>Topic 54 PNW focalizers Response 1 of 2
>pfraterdeus
>alt.gathering.rainbow 2:59 pm Nov 1, 1992
>
>Howdy John!
>
>Took me a minute to figure out what PNW meant!
>I guess you could call the Western Rainbow Tribes Hotline
> (that's thanks to Mark McCracken!) in Eugene...
>That number is.....
>503 284 6600
>
>Happy Trails!
>Play for Peace and Be sure and Vote for Change on Tuesday!
>
>Petros

** AUDIO RECORDINGS **

Various audio recordings of the Rainbow Gatherings have appeared at one time
or another of both professional and amateur quality. One of the most
beautiful I have heard was taken from the Europa Rainbow by the Cavaglieri del
Sole. [Please email ME >mendicott@igc.apc.org< with information about
others.]

Cavaglieri del Sole
Via Borghetto 16, I-29081 Macesina (Brescia), ITALIA

** VIDEO RECORDINGS **

No computer accessible digitized graphical images pertaining to the Rainbow
Gatherings are known to me as of this writing. Contacts for three different
video archives, Luke usually on site at the Video Kitchen, Tony Crow, and
Tobias Michelson, have various video materials freely available at cost, such
as for cassettes and postage. Write for details, including a self-addressed,
stamped envelope or International Reply Coupon. Presumably, all major U.S.
television networks have footage on file of various Rainbow Gatherings. Also,
various U.S. government agencies, in particular the U.S. Forest Service, have
extensive surveillance footage, which they refer to as 'educational' or
'training' material. [If anyone knows the procedure for accessing these
publicly-owned materials, please email ME >mendicott@igc.apc.org< with that
information.]

Tony Crow
Real-Eyes Video, 515 East Grant Road, Suite 113, Tucson, Arizona 85705 USA

Tobias Michelson
Hauptstrasse 42, D-6755 Hochspeyer, DEUTSCHLAND

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW BIBLIO NOTE **

I do not consider that every alternative or New Age publication would be
appropriate here. I have included books about Rainbow Family, per se, about
the broader Rainbow vision, and about the mythology and science of the
rainbow. I would also like to include ones by prominent Rainbow Family
elders. (Please email that information to ME >mendicott@igc.apc.org<, if you
have it available.) Also, there are at least three books in
progress, by Jody Bateman (Family history), Gabe Kirchheimer (coffee table
photo book), and Chuck Will (interviews). A more extensive bibliography
including books of more general nature can be found in Alberto Ruz Buenfil's
RAINBOW NATION WITHOUT BORDERS.

** RAINBOW BIBLIOGRAPHY (medium form) **

Adams, Barry P. WHERE HAVE ALL THE FLOWER CHILDREN GONE? Missoula, Montana:
Michael Spradlin Crater, 1988.

Barry P. Adams
P.O. Box 8574
Missoula, Montana 59807 USA

All Ways Free Council. ALL WAYS FREE. Eugene, Oregon: All Ways Free Council,
semi-annual. (Newspaper)

ALL WAYS FREE
P.O. Box 24715
Eugene, Oregon 97402 USA
[donation requested for printing and postage]

Boyer, Carl B. THE RAINBOW: FROM MYTH TO MATHEMATICS. Princeton, New
Jersey: Princeton University Press, 1987. (Paperback)

Princeton University Press
41 William Street
Princeton, New Jersey 08540 USA

Buenfil, Alberto Ruz. RAINBOW NATION WITHOUT BORDERS: TOWARD AN ECOTOPIAN
MILLENNIUM. Sante Fe, New Mexico: Bear & Company, Inc., 1991.
Translation of: Arcobaleno (Spanish & Italian). (Paperback)

Bear & Company, Inc.
P.O. Drawer 2860
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2860 USA
Tel: (505) 983-5968
(800) 932-3277
Fax: (505) 989-8386

Huehuecoyotl Community
A.P. 111
Tepoztlan, Morelos, MEXICO

Cumbey, Constance E. THE HIDDEN DANGERS OF THE RAINBOW: THE NEW AGE MOVEMENT
AND OUR COMING AGE OF BARBARISM. Shreveport, Louisiana: Huntington House,
Inc., 1983. (Paperback)

Huntington House, Inc.
1200 North Market Street, Suite G
Shreveport, Louisiana 71107 USA
(318) 222-1350

Huntington House, Inc.
P.O.Box 78205
Shreveport, Louisiana 71137 USA
(800) 572-8213

Grimes, Mary "Thunder Woman," Ed. RAINBOW DREAM PROPHECY: A VISION OF HOPE.
Ogbourne St. George, Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK: Acorn Publishing, 1985.
(Saddle stitched)

Acorn Publishing
March House, Ogbourne St. George, Marlborough, Wiltshire, UK
Tel. 067 284 200

Horstman, Lee. RAINBOW ANTHOLOGY. Davenport, California: Lee Horstman,
annual. (Photocopied)

RAINBOW ANTHOLOGY
c/o Lee Horstman
P.O.Box 263
Davenport, California 95017-0263 USA
[donation of US$ 6.- requested for copying and postage]

Manitonquat (Medicine Story). RETURN TO CREATION: A SURVIVAL MANUAL FOR
NATIVE AND NATURAL PEOPLE. Spokane, WA: Bear Tribe Publishing, 1991.
(Paperback)

Bear Tribe Publishing
PO Box 9167
Spokane, Washington 99209 USA

Story Stone Publications
Mettanokit Outreach
Rte 123
Greenville, New Hampshire 03048 USA

McFadden, Steven S.H. ANCIENT VOICES, CURRENT AFFAIRS: THE LEGEND OF THE
RAINBOW WARRIORS. Santa Fe, New Mexico: Bear & Company, Inc., 1992.
(Paperback)

Bear & Company, Inc.
P.O. Drawer 2860
Santa Fe, New Mexico 87504-2860 USA
Tel: (505) 983-5968
(800) 932-3277
Fax: (505) 989-8386

Chiron Communications
P.O.Box 481
New Ipswich, New Hampshire 03071 USA

McGaa, Ed "Eagle Man." RAINBOW TRIBE: ORDINARY PEOPLE JOURNEYING ON THE RED
ROAD. New York: HarperSanFrancisco/HarperCollinsPublishers, 1992.
(Paperback)

HarperSanFrancisco
A Division of HarperCollinsPublishers
10 East 53rd Street
New York, New York 10022 USA

Rainbow Guide Council. RAINBOW GUIDE. Madison, Wisconsin: Rainbow Guide
Council, annual. (Saddle stitched)

THE RAINBOW GUIDE
Box 3213
Madison, Wisconsin 53704 USA
[donation of US$ 5.- requested for printing and postage]

Willoya, William & Vinson Brown. WARRIORS OF THE RAINBOW: STRANGE AND
PROPHETIC DREAMS OF THE INDIANS. Happy Camp, California: Naturegraph
Publishers, 1962. 1992 Printing. (Cloth & Paperback editions)

Naturegraph Publishers, Inc.
P.O.Box 1075
Happy Camp, California 96039 USA

** PERIODICAL CITATIONS **

?

** ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW GLOSSARY **

a-campers
- people relegated to the renegade a-camp

alcohol kitchen, alcohol camp, a-camp
- place for those dependent on alcohol, usually unsanctioned by gathering
council, often located in a transitional area

ALL WAYS FREE (AWF)
- independent, usually semi-annual, newspaper specializing in Rainbow news

babylon
- dominant culture

bliss ninnies, blissers, blisses
- those often, but not necessarily, young and usually middle or upper class
people who prefer enjoyment to work

boogie circle, boogie meadow
- music and dance space often with bonfire

Brotherhood of Eternal Love
- one of innumerable precursor tribes

Brotherhood of the Seventh Ray
- violet is the seventh ray of the spectrum of clear light and represents the
heart chakra of eternal love and intuitive, telepathic guidance

brothers
- generally meaning fraternity, as in all men are brothers, also used for
those who are male family

C.A.L.M.
- Center for Alternative Living Medicine (formerly known as M.A.S.H.), first
aid, field hospital, usually staffed with competent alternative health care
practitioners, often with EMTs, LPNs, RNs, or MDs on call

college kids
- usually clean-cut, preppily dressed university students new to gatherings
often visiting on weekends

cops & hippies (a.k.a. feds & heads)
- cat & mouse game played by immature, unenlightened people

council, council circle, main council
- sacred space for collective couciling, usually patterned after native
traditions, usually attempting consensus process

deadheads
- fans and followers of the Grateful Dead band, usually those new to
gatherings and often young and perceived to be irresponsible

fairies, fairy camp, fairy kitchen
- usually those of male homosexual persuasion, and their camp or kitchen

family
- people who have attended more than one gathering and consider themselves to
be

focalizer, focalizer council, focalizing, focalized, focalizer quarterly
mailing (FQM)
- a volunteer or council of at least three persons objectively or
subjectively specializing in being a contact point and/or networking

gate, main gate
- point where gathering encampment begins

herstory
- the better half of hipstory

high holy hippy elders, high holy hippies, high holies, assholies
- either objective or subjective hippy elders

hipstory, hipstorian
- family medicine story or oral history, raconteur

home
- Gaia, Mother Earth, nature, or gathering encampment

Info
- Information and Rumor Control collective or affinity group, camp or kitchen
for info-maniacs, message center, bulletin boards, ride sharing board,
workshop schedule, lost and found box, CB radio, clock

Jah, Jah-Way
- Wakan Tanka the Great Spirit, the One true God of Abraham, the spiritual
path

kid village, kiddie village
- focal point for cooperative child care

Legaliaison
- volunteer contacts for interface with local, state, and federal authorities

locals
- people who live in the immediate vicinity of a gathering

parking
- centralized area for storing passenger vehicles while gathering, usually
supervised by family, local, state, and/or federal authorities

Rainbow Family
- a dis-organization of non-members

RAINBOW GUIDE
- annual directory of people not gatherings

Rainbow way
- the spiritual path

Rainbow trail
- circuit of gatherings and kindred events

Rap 107/701
- flyer for educating about appropriate gathering behavior when
entering/leaving (the origin of this title seems to have become lost, but
probably refers to the number of times someone had to go over this orally
before it was finally written down)

road dogs
- dog soldiers often older street people, hoboes, mountain men, or homeless

sisters, sister space
- generally meaning sorority, as in all women are sisters, also used for
those who are female family, camp, kitchen, or safe, supportive space
reserved for women only

stone age
- the time before use of the wheel was acceptable at gatherings

supply, main supply
- central area for donating supplies and coordinating acquisitions

tourists
- people who come to a gathering, usually at its peak, simply to gawk at the
spectacle

weekend warriors
- family employed and residing in babylon

Welcome Home, Welcome Center
- common greeting phrase at North American gatherings, also refers to camp
or kitchen usually located in vicinity of trail head for same purpose

** END OF ALT.GATHERING.RAINBOW FAQ **

Back to the Top Level: